Our favorite brownies recipe from scratch. You only need one bowl, a saucepan, and a spoon. In the first step, we ask that you melt the butter with sugar, cocoa powder, and salt in a bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water. This process ensures that crinkly top that we all love. You can do this step in the microwave, but I do find the stovetop method to be more consistent.
These brownies aren’t too sweet. If you are like us and find yourself reaching for darker chocolate over milk chocolate, these are most certainly for you. Use natural or Dutch-process cocoa powder for these (cacao powder works, too). I especially love using Droste Cacao (a Dutch process powder).
- 1/2 cups granulated sugar*
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour.
- 2/3 cup cocoa powder, sifted if lumpy.
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar, sifted if lumpy.
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips.
- 3/4 teaspoons sea salt.
- 2 large eggs.
- 1/2 cup canola oil or extra-virgin olive oil**